The Role of a Steering Committee in Achieving Project Success
A steering committee is a group of stakeholders that provide oversight and guidance to ensure the successful completion of a project. The committee’s responsibility is to help make sure the project is completed on time, on budget, and with the desired results. It is a key part of the project’s success and can ensure that the project follows the right direction. This blog post will explore the roles of a steering committee, how it supports project success, and how Miller Tanner Associates can help with steering committee meetings and related events.
How Does It Support Project Success?
Also known as a project steering committee, a steering committee is a group that works together to make sure that a certain business goal is met. The overall responsibility of the steering committee is to provide guidance, oversight, and direction to meet the desired goal.
In order to achieve success, the steering committee must be effective. This means ensuring that all members are informed, involved, and committed to the project scope.
Responsibilities of a Steering Committee:
• Develop a clear and concise mission statement for the project.
• Monitor progress and provide feedback on project performance.
• Create a timeline for completion and adjust it as needed.
• Communicate regularly with stakeholders about progress and changes.
• Evaluate results of the project against the desired objectives.
• Provide clear guidance and direction when needed.
• Make final decisions regarding any disputes or disagreements.
What is the Structure of a Steering Committee?
Project steering committees are typically composed of representatives from various departments and business areas, who come together to ensure the successful implementation of a project. They are responsible for providing guidance, oversight, and decision-making support throughout the entire project lifecycle. The main purpose of a steering committee is to ensure that the project meets the organization’s business objectives and stays within the established scope.
The structure of a steering committee should be tailored to fit the specific needs of the project. Generally, a steering committee consists of executive leadership, senior managers, and project stakeholders. Executive leaders provide direction and set the overall vision for the project, while senior managers are responsible for guiding the progress and ensuring that business objectives are met. Project stakeholders represent their individual interests and ensure that their requirements are being met.
What are Some Different Types of Steering Committees?
Project steering committees are typically structured around a particular set of business objectives. The specific scope of the project can vary and is often determined by the committee itself. Depending on the organization, there may be different types of steering committees that can be established to ensure successful project delivery.
A few common types of steering committees include:
- Executive Steering Committees: These committees are composed of upper management, including executives and board members, who have an oversight role in guiding the project. They are responsible for ensuring that the project remains within its scope and budget.
- Compensation Committees: These committees are built as an authority over salary, benefits, and other forms of compensation for senior team members. Both non-profits and corporations will establish this committee.
- Privacy Committees: Exist to ensure that the organization is in awareness of new data protection technology and compliance with security regulations.
Partner With Us to Plan Your Steering Committee Meetings
At Miller Tanner Associates, we understand that forming an effective project steering committee and hosting successful corporate events are essential to meeting your business objectives. We offer a range of services designed to help you achieve your project scope and get the most out of your steering committee meetings. Our team has experience in planning meetings, conferences, seminars, and workshops for a wide variety of industries, enabling us to create corporate events that drive results and bring value to your team.
We believe that the most effective steering committees and corporate events should be tailored to fit the specific needs of your company. Our team works with you to customize each event to meet your unique goals and objectives so that you can rest assured that your upcoming steering committee meetings and other corporate events will be successful and memorable. We recommend at least a 16-week lead time to start planning your meetings and events. Reach out to us today to learn more about how Miller Tanner Associates can help you plan project meetings and related corporate events.
Image Credit: Korawat photo shoot / Shutterstock